Saturday 7 April 2007

Scrambled eggs all over my face

Welcome, once again.

I was thinking about how I write recently, after recieiving some criticism on short script I wrote. This script eventually became the short ShutEye, which I made with some people off my course last December.

So I guess that's not really that recent, but writing this blog made me think about my approach to writing.

In the feedback for the project there were the notes "A good, funny little script, but it should not have contained camera directions." Or something to that effect.

I never used to write camera movement and framings into my scripts, that is, until I did A-level film studies, where they made us do that. I was initially against it, but after it just became natural.

I've always wanted to be a writer/directer, rather than just one or t'other. It just seems right to write in shot framing and camera movements into a script, rather than make it like a bizarrely laid out story.

I just write it as I visualise it. Like the guy who writes those erotic comics in The Sun.

It's helpful for me, as my storyboards are terrible, and I think it gives the cast and others involved a good way to get an idea of the effect I want to acheive.

I'll stop now, becuase I'm going off on one of those director type rants.

Instead I'll talk about Frasier, a show I've loved for years. Back in the day me, my dad and my sister would watch the double bill every night religiously on Paramount Comedy. I still love it today though. Over the last two days I've watched no less than 18 episodes.

It's OK, I'm aware I have no life.

The show is so simplistic and yet so subtle. It's just extremely well written farce. But you care so much about the characters. I smile whenever I see Niles almost get with Daphne, or when they're trying to keep a truth from someone and covering it up really poorly (Martin as an astronaught, anyone?)

It's one of those shows that never dipped in quality throughout it's ten year run. A few years ago it was voted the best sitcom of all time by people in the industry. A bold claim, but one that I think is easily justifiable.

I'd love to write something as complex and layered as Fraiser, I've threw in references in past scripts I've written for various bits and bobs, and I think it's heavily influenced the way I write largely sarcastic characters.

Hell, it's influenced the way I'm a largley sarcastic character.

I mentioned lat time that there was a video blog coming soon. This was no lie. I'm currently in the preparation stages of creating, what will no doubt be, the poorest video blog (or vlog, as all the kids say) ever.

So you've got that to look forward to.

Goodnight, Seattle.

No comments: