Monday 30 April 2007

The long and short of it

For the second time, here it is.

Not quite the colmination of my Total Film short film project, but at least the first scene from the script.

I could get all emotional about what a pleasure it's been to write this blog and that I've learnt so much about myself through doing it (which it has and I have), but rather than a lengthy goodbye, I'm going to leave you in the company of Fergal.

Fergal.
(working title)
by
Alexander Plant
Scene 1
INT: BEDROOM - Late afternoon.
The BEDROOM is typical of that of a student. It is messy. There are CLOTHES on the floor, the WALL is covered in POSTERS of various bands and films and there are lots of PHOTOS depicting people on nights out. Lying on the BED is PENNY, an attractive young woman with dark hair. She is looking up towards the ceiling. Sitting to the side of her and gazing at her fondly is FERGAL. He dressed casually and looks like any other slacker. He wears a PLAID SHIRT over an overwashed black T-SHIRT.
As the following scene unfolds the camera starts as a close up on PENNY. It then slowly pulls back.
PENNY
I dunno, he was just an asshole. I'm
fed up with guys like that, I really
am.
FERGAL
(o/c)
Yeah.
PENNY
You bet your ass, yeah. I just want to
be with someone who's good for me. I
mean, looking back now, I've always gone
for guys that I had an initial attraction
to but never bothered to find anything out
about them before hand. And that was
generally the problem: there was nothing
interesting about them.
FERGAL
(still partly o/c)
Yeah.
PENNY
Uh huh. I've grown to realise the
importance of friendship in relationsips.
A physical attraction just isn't enough.
I find that I'm at the age now where I
want companionship. It's not like I'm an
old maid or anything, but y'know, I want a
a relationship that's going to last. Like,
that started off as a really good friendhsip.
By this point the camera has zoomed out fully.
FERGAL
(raising an eyebrow)
Oh?
PENNY sits up and turns to face him.
PENNY
Yeah. I think it's obvious really.
FERGAL
(nervously)
Is it?
PENNY
(giggling)
Yeah, how can be in love with someone
your not friends with?
FERGAL
(his voice goes momentarily
high pitched)
L-love?
PENNY
Absolutely. I can't believe I didn't
see it before. This changes everything.
She looks down and smiles to herself.
FERGAL
It certainly does.
FERGAL moves in to kiss her. She doesn't see him coming and stands up. Consequently, he falls off the bed.
PENNY
Oh Ferg, you're so silly. Come on,
let's go get chicken.
PENNY leaves the BEDROOM. FERGAL slowly pulls himself up. He has a FEATHER in his mouth. He spits it out then pauses.
FERGAL
Bitch.
He then slowly leaves the BEDROOM
CUT TO:

No comments: